Wednesday, March 25, 2009

2008 Garden - Part 1: Successful Plants

I created this blog because I thought it would be an awesome idea to track my yearly gardens. =) This first post will show the progress of sucessful plants from last years garden. I learned several things from my experiences last year:

*Container size needed for certain plants (you'll see my beautiful, yet mini Bell peppers)
*When to start planting (my tomato plants last year were started in early May...I probably got a total harvest of about 20 or so tomatoes because they were started too late...that's just one example of this lesson learned)
*What pests to expect in my area (spider mites were death to every single one of my pepper plants...11 of them! I never did find something that got rid of them...I tried soooo many possible solutions & none worked...i'll probably have a post about this soon)
*Some other things like how often to water certain plants, how often to fertilize (if at all), what plants like full sun & what plants only like partial sun, etc.

Below are the pictures of last years garden. They are organized by plant type from first picture to last. They are not organized by week because I didn't do that last year (Time between most pics is a week...there are two times where the gap is 2 weeks). I will be this year though. I planted almost everything from seed, except my Dill Weed & Orange Bell Peppers. I have most of the lifespan of Basil, Garlic Chives, Green Bell Peppers & Tomatoes shown (1 plant of each type).



Basil:



















Garlic Chives:

















Green Bell Peppers:















Tomatoes:















Yellow Wax Beans:





These should have been lead to grow along some type of pole or trellis way before this point. I think I bought one a few days after this pic though...




Pretty flowers on these plants...




I am not growing these again only because I realized, with this bean at least, that you need several plants to have a good yield...

No comments:

Post a Comment