Friday, March 27, 2009

2008 Garden - Part 3: Failed Cilantro

Unfortunately, last year, I had several failed plants. Some from pests, some from bad transplanting & some for other miscelaneous reasons. This post covers one of them with a description of the reasons for failure. Hopefully, if you're an avid gardner reading this who doesn't know much about Cilantro, this will help you. Always feel free to contact me through Blogspot about questions you may have regarding any of my posts.

Every time I started Cilantro (3 times), I had to learn the same lessons over & over the hard way because I didn't figure them out until late in the year. First of all, Cilantro is not a warm/hot weather plant. It will do ok in somewhat hot temperatures if kept moist & in the shade. For best results, indoor growth is what i'd recommend. Second, it really almost must be grown in close proximity batches (not an herb that needs or wants space). Cilantro experts will almost always tell you to grow it in "bunches." I started it from seed, of course, as I do almost all of my plants. Mine never passed that stage of being about 3-4 inches tall with only one or two sets of leaves. Anyways, here are a few pictures of the unfortunate Cilantro incidents. =)





This is about the largest my Cilantro ever got, in all three attempts...




This is after I learned the plant in "bunches" lesson, but still hadn't learned the shade/no extreme heat lesson...

No comments:

Post a Comment