Thursday, October 29, 2009

Propagation Of Rose Cuttings

My first attempt at propagation (first attenpt at this for anything) is going well! I got a basic rundown of how to do it from a GardenWeb friend who is a Master Gardener. She's awesome (Thanks, April...lol)! Basically, these are the steps she told me:

*Get a 2-liter soda bottle, wash it out & cut it in half
*Put some soil in the bottom half of the cut bottle
*Dip rose cuttings in rooting hormone
*Place cuttings into soil, putting at least 2-3 leaf nodes below soil level
*Water heavily
*Place top of bottle back on (around) bottom half, leaving the cap on, forming a terrarium of sorts
*Put bottle in somewhat sunny location, but not too sunny so cuttings don't get cooked in bottle
*Once rose cuttings start to show a bit of new growth, take top of bottle off for a few hours a day
*Once a good bit of new growth has formed & roots are visible on edges of bottle quite well, etc., transplant & you have new rose plants!

Well, I followed these directions with my 3 Zephrine Droughin Climbing Rose cuttings I got from another good friend on GardenWeb (Thanks, Connie!). They have been "propagating" for almost 3 weeks now. About a week after I started them I saw roots coming off all 3 cuttings. I was so excited (as this is my first real attempt at propagating anything)! =) Now, they have started to get a little bit of new growth & are almost close to the stage where they need to be transplanted. I bet, by the end of November, I will have transplanted all 3 to their own homes. I just think it's awesome to be able to cut a 6 or so inch piece off a rose plant and using what it seems like is so easy of a process, make it into a totally new plant! Below are a few pictures of the process, in chronological order. The first one is from a day or two after I started them. The second is from about 8-9 days ago & the third is from Wednesday morning of this week. I know it's not too easy to see the plants through the bottle, but you can get a general idea of their size (somewhat...lol). Let me know what y'all think. =)














No comments:

Post a Comment