Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Spring is here! First signs of life in Steve's Garden

When I got home from work, after eating dinner, I went outside to give my outdoor dormant alliums, fruit plants, etc. a watering. I find a few late Winter/early Spring waterings will spring (pun intended...lol) things back to life a bite early sometimes. =) Well, after I was done, I decided to do something I need to do for each of the plants, 1 at a time...clean off all the pine needles from the surface & remove any weeds that had grown in the containers over the Fall & Winter. Knowing I had to later unload 500 lbs of Pro Mix potting soil (which I got at a steal of $5.85 per 1 & 1/2 cubic foot bag!) from my truck, I decided to only clean & deweed my 3rd year Garlic Chives. Well, after doing so, I just happened to see that they're growing! I love these things. You could stick them in a closet in your attic & never water them and I swear they'd still come back next year! lol. Anyways, I counted about 12 of them at anywhere from an inch to 3 inches or so. That means they've been growing for at least a week. Awesome. The beauty of Spring starts in Steve's Vegetable Garden...

Photobucket

Photobucket




This discover, along with finding the excellent deal on the Pro Mix has me wicked excited & ready to start gardening! I think i'm going to prepare my fruit bed & plant some of the fruits in it this weekend. I'll post the final product on here after i'm done. Until then, Welcome Spring!!!

2 comments: