Monday, April 6, 2009

2009 Garden Seedling Pictures: March 24th

I only have 2 plant pictures from this day. They are my 2 favorite sets of plants though! =) I will hopefully, within the next few days, have a post up on here with current seedling pictures of every plant I have growing so far. Stay tuned. As always, comments, suggestion & questions are welcome.



Cherry Tomatoes:



These are my absolute favorite plants so far this year. I started my Cherry Tomatoes in a Jiffy peat pellet tray on March 10th. They sprouted about a week later. Then, one day after they sprouted (maybe even a bit less), they were 3 inches long & hitting the dome of the peat pellet tray! So, I removed them from the tray and transplanted to 16 oz plastic cups (with holes in bottom), making sure to definitely remove the netting from the pellets. I buried them up so only about 1 inch of the plant was above soil. I then gave them 5-10 sprays of a diluted (1/4 stregth) MG Tomato Food (I call this my transplant medicine...lol) which I use for all my veggie transplants. I also gave them some regular water. After another week they had grown 1-2 inches more (picture above shows them at 2 weeks of age). Currently, at still a tad less than a month of age, they are monsters! They're a towering 6-8 inches tall with tons of leaves, 3-4 inches wide, stems of about 1/2 cm & roots all over the sides of the cups. =) Can you tell i'm very proud of them? I'll get pictures up as soon as I can.



Garlic Chives:

Left side...


Right side (look closely on the far right at the bottom by the last chive cluster and you can see one of the two self-seeded babies they gave me this year)...


Whole pot...


Like previously stated, this is my second favorite plant this year so far because of not being aware they would spawn new life from last year's root clusters (and grow so quickly!). At only 2 weeks of growth, you can see how nice they are progressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment