Monday, April 6, 2009

2009 Garden Seedling Pictures: March 17th

I don't have too many pictures of my seedlings yet this year (some I have no pictures of...i'm working on a solution for this =) ), but I am able to track the progress of a few, for now. I'll start with pictures taken on March 17th (All pictures taken & posted on this web site, unless otherwise stated, were done by Stephanie Boutin Photography...see link at top right of my main page) . As always, comments, suggestions & questions are welcome.

Update on Dwarf Lemmon Tree: Expected to arrive sometime between the 13th & the 27th of this month. Yay!



Early Girl Hybrid Tomatoes:



It's been a bit of slow-going for my Early Girl's. They are still growing fine, but are only about twice this size now. I wonder if peat pellets might be better than peat pots for these next year. They were recently transplanted (about a week and a half ago) to 16 oz plastic cups (with holes in the bottom). They have taken their time re-rooting (getting ussed to their new homes) and are now taking off again. Hopefully, these and my San Marzano's will start catching up to my monstrous Cherry tomato seedlings soon! =)



Garlic Chives:



I'm very proud of my garlic chives this year. I started them last Spring. After great results with them last year, I wanted to do them again this year. I didn't know if they functioned like a bulb or not or if i'd have to go buy more seed and start them again. Meaning, would I just be able to toss some water or fertilizer or a combination of both on them and they'd start growing again? Well, after being outside on my porch through the whole Winter, supposedly dead as can be, little stubs showing where there was life last year, I decided to do a test to see if last years's bulbs/root clusters would spawn new life. On March 10th, I took my watering pitcher, filled it up with warm water and poured the whole pitcher all over the pot, making sure to get the middle area where the old roots are quite soaked. The soil must have been wicked dry, as there was no water draining out of the bottom. Anyways, a few days later, I had beautiful green garlic chives sprouting out from the little dead stubs of last year! =) Now, they are growing like mad. Several leaves are over 5-6 inches long. They require little care (just some water when the soil gets dry and maybe a few sprays of diluted fertilizer every few weeks). They are quite able to stand the cold well (survived fine through 3 frosts already!). If I didn't think they could do so, I obviously would bring them inside. Anyways, above is the baby picture of them at the age of 1 week.



Jalapeno Early Organic Peppers:



My Jalapeno's are being another somewhat slow-grower. I believe this is also due to the peat pots they were started in. They are all now transplanted to my 16 oz plastic cups. They re-rooted for a few days and have taken off again. In fact, I brought one with me to work last week so i'd have a plant to look at when i'm itching to get home to my gardening. =) They currently range from 2-4 inches tall with 2-6/7 leaves.



San Marzano Organic Tomatoes:



Yet another peat pot victim, these plants seem to be smaller than they should at this point in their life. Same story, once transplanted to 16 oz plastic cups, they re-rooted and have started taking off again. In fact, they surpassed my Early Girl's in size and are starting to slowly creep up on the Cherry tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment