Friday, February 12, 2010

More Stuff Arrived! =)

Yesterday, I got 3 more FedEx packages. I received my heating mat thermometer, my fertilizers & my cold frame! Yay! The only thing left, that I have not received yet, is my Jung order. Below are a few pictures of them. Also, I believe I have finalized my list of what i'm growing this year. I have yet to start the Stevia or Echinachea Purpurea because it's too early to do so. I will probably start a few seeds of each in early to mid March. Here's my final list (well, as final as any gardening addict like myself can get...i'm sure a few more items will pop up later on...lol):




Tomatoes:

Rutgers
Persimmon
Better Boy
Wisconsin 55
Sungold
Sungold Select II
Black Cherry
Amish Paste
Martino's Roma




Peppers:

Chillie Chili
Hot Banana
Mucho Nacho Jalapeno
Melrose
Capsicum Baccatum (Pendulum)
Chile de Comida (Guajillo)
Chocolate Habanero
Caribbean Red Habanero
Red Thai Burapa
Tabasco
Sweet Yellow Stuffing

*I may add one or two more sweet pepper varieties when I receive my Jung order.




Other starts this year:

Lavender Hyssop
Mexican Papaya
Garlic Plant
Stevia
Echinacea Purpurea
St. Croix Grape




Ongoing from last year:

Triple Crown Blackberry
Wineberry Raspberry
Strawberries (2 patches)
Elephant Garlic
White Globe Onion
Garlic Chives (will be the 3rd year for these!)
Indian Mint
Dwarf Lime Tree
Dwarf Cavendish Banana




I also have 15 or so various non-edible plants that will continue to grow in my garden this year.




Here are the pics of my newly arrived items. I'm excited about the cold frame & the fertilizers! The cold frame will allow me to get some of the seedlings outside a few weeks or so before the last frost date around here (April 15th-23rd), which is great since I started many of my tomato plants a few weeks before you are supposed to in my zone. Come on July 4th tomatoes!

The fertilizers should give me much more productive & healthy veggie plants this year. I've been researching a better fertilization plan & with the help of a few kind folks from GardenWeb, have found that a 3-1-2 ratio is best for vegetable plants, as it most closely matches what levels of NPK they naturally take in. The Foilage Pro 9-3-6 also has Calcium, Magnesium & a few other essential minerals that should help prevent things like the BER I had last year in my San Marzano's. The Protekt 0-0-3 will be added to my fertilization plan a bit later on & help with fruit production.

This is also my first attempt at using the Germination Station (heated dome seed greenhouse). I'm antsy to see how fast & better it makes the seeds grow.




Heat mat thermostat:



My new Cold Frame (will be put together in mid-March when i'm ready to use it):



The fertilizers:



The Germination Station:

No comments:

Post a Comment